Responding in real time: Candid’s 2020 annual report
When we sat down last fall to consider what should be included in Candid’s 2020 annual report, we independently came up with the same list:
- Candid’s first anniversary (for those of you who came in late, Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces on February 1, 2019, to create a new organization, Candid)
- Candid’s response to COVID-19
- Candid’s response to increased calls for racial equity
- Publication of our vision statement, Candid 2030
- Becoming “one Candid”—i.e., rebranding legacy websites and services in Candid style and migrating business systems from our legacy organizations into unified solutions across Candid
Deciding how to present this information was more challenging. Candid’s 2019 annual report was fun (not something you often say about annual reports!). It was styled like a newspaper, featured bite-sized content readers could pick and choose from, and even had a crossword puzzle.
We loved the 2019 report, but we felt its approach wasn’t right for 2020, a year in which millions of people died in a pandemic; COVID-19 highlighted inequities in our society; and the deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, George Floyd, and so many others revealed even more starkly the systemic racism our economic and social systems are built on.
We also faced the reality that the pandemic and racial inequity affected everyone in some way in 2020. We decided to focus on how Candid responded as an organization to these events and how they affected Candid employees. The report isn’t all doom and gloom, though. The photo essay on Candid’s first anniversary is cheerful, and several employees share amusing anecdotes about working virtually. And it made us happy to carry the 2019 annual report’s focus on the people who make Candid work over into the 2020 report.
When we say we, we’re not just talking about the two of us listed in the byline. Many people contributed to Candid’s 2020 annual report. We (now meaning the two of us listed in the byline) thank you all. And we thank all of our stakeholders, who let us know daily that our work matters.