16 free nonprofit books for your summer reading list
Ah, summertime is in the air! It’s the perfect time to relax, get away, and kick back to enjoy some good books from Candid’s free nonprofit eBook collection. Are you worried that a nonprofit-related book will feel like a rain cloud over your summer vibes? Don’t be. We’ve scoured our online library to find you our best quick reads and easy listens that will inspire you and help you recharge.
Whether you’re reading in a hammock or in between Zoom meetings this summer, we’ve got you covered. Check out our specially curated reading list of 16 free nonprofit books perfect for any summertime occasion:
If you’re short on time…
Is your calendar booked solid with fun plans between Memorial Day and Labor Day? Have we got some recommendations for you! We have several quick reads that will give your skills a boost—with minimal time and effort:
- Nonprofit Quick Guides by Joanne Oppelt and Linda Lysakowski. This series features seven quick guides to support your professional success, including How to Find New Donors and Get Them to Give Again and How to Run a Strategic Planning Retreat.
- Perfect Phrases for Writing Grant Proposals and Perfect Phrases for Fundraising by Beverly Browning. These classics will help you find the right words for every fundraising situation.
- The Little Book of… series by Eric Hanberg. Get the skinny on the essentials of nonprofit leadership, boards, fundraising, and social media marketing.
- 101 Social Media Tactics for Nonprofits: A Field Guide by Melanie Mathos and Chad Norman. Don’t have time to read a book cover to cover? Leaf through this book’s 101 tips to find actionable social media tactics you can start using today.
If you’d rather listen…
Did you know that Candid’s online library also includes audiobooks? Our eBook collection offers plenty of options to perk up your ears. Here are some of Candid’s fan favorites to listen to during long drives to the beach or walks in the park this summer:
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brené Brown. Discover what it means to become a true leader in this New York Times bestseller. (Hint: It takes courage, vulnerability, and trust.)
- Impact: A Step-by-Step Plan to Create the World You Want to Live In by Christen Brandt and Tammy Tibbetts. Find out how to tap into your unique skills to create social change and make a positive impact in today’s world.
- Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team by Simon Sinek. Get a refreshing take on finding fulfillment and success in your work by listening to this popular title.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear. If you’re trying to kick a bad habit or stick with a good one, give this audiobook a listen to learn how to make it happen.
If you’re in search of inspiration…
There’s something about summer that lifts your spirits and makes you feel like anything is possible. Why not lean into that feeling by reading books that will inspire you to change the world? Check out these selections that promise to spark your imagination:
- Invitation to Impact: Lighting the Path to Community Transformation by Wendy H. Steele. Find motivation in the real-life stories of women’s incredible ability to transform the lives of others. (Want a sneak peek into the goodness that awaits you? Read this Philanthropy News Digest book review.)
- The Everyday Philanthropist: A Better Way to Make a Better World by Dan Pallotta. This author’s powerful perspective on what it means to be a philanthropist will remind you of your ability to impact your community.
- You’re More Powerful than You Think: A Citizen’s Guide to Making Change Happen by Eric Liu. If you’ve ever felt like you aren’t powerful enough to change the world, this book may just change your mind.
- The Answer is You: A Guidebook to Creating A Life Full of Impact by Alex Amouyel. When it comes to making a difference in your life, this read will leave you feeling inspired and ready to tackle the issues you care about.
If you’re feeling a bit burned out…
Changing the world is hard work. Instead of focusing on professional development, how about investing in some self-care this summer? We’ve created an entire collection of Self-Help & Personal Growth titles to help you recharge and refocus; here are some of our top recommendations:
- The Microstress Effect: How Little Things Pile Up and Create Big Problems—and What to Do about It by Rob Cross and Karen Dillon. If a million little things accumulate and cause you anxiety, learn how to better cope with microstress and minimize its impact on your life.
- Being the Change: A Guide for Advocates and Activists on Staying Healthy, Inspired, and Driven by Dara G. Friedman-Wheeler and Jamie Sue Bodenlos. Compassion fatigue is real, and this book offers practical advice for taking care of yourself while also looking out for the wellbeing of others.
- The Idealist’s Survival Kit: 75 Simple Ways to Avoid Burnout by Alessandra Pigni. If you’re feeling a little burned (out) this summer, this title can soothe and refresh your perspective like a bottle of aloe vera.
- Changing the World Without Losing Your Mind, Revised Edition by Alex Counts. For those who dedicate their lives to doing good, learn how to give joyfully while also extending your generosity to care for yourself.
Read these free nonprofit books for all-season success
At Candid, we seek to provide you with the information and resources you need to support and further your mission-driven work year-round.
To equip yourself for all-season success, we invite you to browse our free, public collection of eBooks and audiobooks on nonprofit leadership, fundraising, operations, and many related topics.
Please visit this knowledge base article, How can I access Candid’s eBook collection?, to help you get started.
If you have additional questions or want assistance navigating Candid’s educational resources, reach out to our team of online librarians at [email protected] or via chat during business hours.